- NHS Medical & Dental: Consultant
- 10 PAs per week
- Worthing Hospital
- £79,860 - £107,668 per annum
- 08/12/2019 23:59
Western Sussex Hospitals is a leading acute hospital trust, with rewarding career opportunities for caring, committed and innovative people who wish to be valued for the work they do and empowered to continually improve the services we provide. Here are five reasons to join us:
- Outstanding – we are the only CQC-rated “Outstanding” hospital trust on the south coast of England and one of only seven acute hospital trusts in the country to have received the health watchdog’s highest overall rating. (Read our CQC report)
- Top 5 – Western Sussex Hospitals is one the very best hospital trusts in the country to work for, according to the NHS Staff Survey, and among the top five trusts in England where employees are most likely to recommend the care their colleagues provide. (NHS Staff Survey 2017/18)
- We Care – our vision and values are expressed by the phrase We Care – and not just for our patients but for each other as well. The CQC said: “Staff we spoke with were exceptionally compassionate when talking about patients and we observed kindness not only towards patients but towards each other whilst on site.”
- Leading organisation – Western Sussex Hospitals is led by NHS Chief Executive of the Year Marianne Griffiths (HSJ Awards 2016 | No.1 HSJ Top CEOs 2018) and is renowned for outstanding care, excellent staff engagement, innovation and shared learning. Health secretary Jeremy Hunt said: “Western Sussex has the best learning culture I have seen anywhere in the NHS.” [Worthing Hospital, February 2018]
- Location, location, location – our hospitals in Chichester, Worthing and Shoreham-by-Sea are all situated along the beautiful Sussex coast, between the beach and South Downs National Park. West Sussex is regularly cited as one of the UK’s best places to live, boasting beautiful countryside, picturesque villages, vibrant towns, excellent schools and cultural amenities, as well as quick transport links to Brighton, Gatwick Airport, London and Europe.
More about us - Western Sussex Hospitals is an acute trust with three hospitals; Worthing Hospital and St Richard’s Hospital in Chichester, where we provide emergency, inpatient and outpatient care; and Southlands Hospital in Shoreham-by-Sea, where we provide outpatient care and day surgery. The trust also provides a number of services in community settings as well as the West Sussex Sexual Health Service. In April 2017, the senior leadership team took on the management of neighbouring trust Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals, for an initial period of at least three years.
Patient First - in 2015, the trust’s Patient First programme was launched to empower colleagues to make lasting changes that benefit patients and to ensure the organisation continues to improve patient care by introducing lean management best practice at every level of the trust. Daily team huddles are just one example of extensive and ongoing cultural change that makes Western Sussex an exciting place to work. (Watch our video)
Applications are invited for the above post of Consultant Orthogeriatrician based at Worthing Hospital, part of the Western Sussex NHS Foundation Trust. There is one substantive post available as soon as possible and a fixed term post commencing immediately to cover a career break until June 2020.
The successful candidate will join the innovative and forward-thinking Department of Medicine for Older People (DoME) at Worthing Hospital. DoME was the first department in the region to deliver care for older people with frailty via an Acute Frailty Unit in 2008. Sub-specialty interests include Orthogeriatrics, Stroke, Community Geriatrics and Acute Frailty.
Western Sussex Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is the only CQC-rated “Outstanding” hospital trust on the south coast and one of only seven in the country. We’re an ambitious organisation that champions our people, equipping them with new skills to continually improve services for patients.
The CQC recognised our leading approach continuous improvement which encourages and supports innovation at all levels. We are an acute trust with three hospitals; St Richard’s in Chichester and Worthing Hospital, where we provide emergency and inpatient care; and Southlands Hospital in Shoreham, where we provide out-patient care and day surgery. We are a forward looking and innovative trust whose purpose is to provide high quality emergency and elective care for the people of West Sussex. Foundation Trust Status was achieved in July 2013.
Our hospitals are all situated along the beautiful Sussex coast, nestled against the South Downs National Park, and close to vibrant towns that are richly endowed with excellent cultural and sporting facilities, offering good transport links to London and Europe.
All newly appointed Consultants are mentored, via the “WSHFT Mentorship scheme for senior medical staff”.
Applicants must be on the GMC Specialist Register or within 6 months of attaining Specialist Registration at the time of interview. Applications from candidates who, for personal reasons, are unable to work full-time will be eligible to be considered for this post.
All applicants are required to provide the names and contact details of a minimum of three clinical referees including one from the current employer (or most recent employer if not currently working) to cover the last three years of clinical employment .
Please note shortlisted applicants will be asked to provide an up to date CV for their interview.
Applications from Agencies will NOT be considered, therefore please do not send any directly to the department or Medical HR
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
To print a document or save it to your computer, please click with your right mouse button on the document title and select "Save Target As...". You can then save the document in a suitable place on your computer ready to print it out. Clicking with the left mouse button will open the document in a new window (if your web browser can do so).
Further details / informal visits contact
For further information please contact:
Dr David Hunt, Clinical Director – Ext 85784
Dr Amanda Wellesley, Chief of Medicine- Ext 84757
Western Sussex Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Tel: 01903 205111
If you have problems applying, contact
- 01903 205111 Ext 84750